As a consultant, whenever I ask people to participate in some process, I have to be willing to use the same methods for myself. I applied that principle recently when I was working with a team to reduce stress and interpersonal conflict. As I mentioned in a previous blog, this was a faith-based organization. I asked each person to write three Blessings as part of the preparation for a workshop. I decided that I would, on the day of the workshop, before it began, write a Blessing for the work.
The morning of the workshop I spent time in worship. As a Quaker, that means sitting in silence for a period of time. It is a useful practice for me before working with people in a delicate situation. The practice clears my mind and helps me be clear to serve my clients effectively. After a period of reflection I wrote my Blessing for the workshop. Here is the result:
May we avail ourselves of God’s grace through humble openness to his presence
May our condition and burdens be nourishment for work guided by the spirit
May we grow in the light through our labor and the labor of others
May we each be blessed with the gift of practical personal growth
May our community benefit from healing for the sake of those we serve
No comments:
Post a Comment